Janine Ambrose Salina, Director HR, Busch LLC
This case study is about the largest manufacturer of vacuum pumps, blowers, compressors and low-pressure technology products in the United States with more than 500 employees. The company, Busch LLC, has a huge clientele spread across the globe and it comes with more than 50 years of expertise in manufacturing and offering customized solutions for vacuum applications.
The organization believes in employees’ career development along with its growth. To streamline its performance management process, the client was looking for a highly customizable solution on ADP marketplace that could be integrated with their ADP Payroll.
Busch LLC already had ADP Workforce Now® as their HR and payroll system of record and focused on enhancing and expanding their entire HCM ecosystem. They started looking for a comprehensive, customized Performance Management system on ADP marketplace to identify solutions that could easily be integrated with ADP Workforce Now and could streamline and expand company’s HR capabilities and processes. Mapping to their Performance Management process to meet their existing needs was the top priority for Busch LLC. The main requirements were:
- To customize competencies. Along with three core competencies that each employee had, based on the job roles, employees were encouraged to select 3 more competencies of their choice (called “Dynamic” Competencies), that could help in their career development and learning. It was one of the pre-requisites for performance appraisal.
Employees were expected to take approval from managers when adding dynamic competencies but doing this manually was time-consuming and difficult.
- To identify changes made in dynamic competencies. Managers faced difficulty in identifying and tracking status of the changed dynamic competencies.
This led to two problems: (a) It became impossible to identify employees who never changed their competencies and managers remained unaware about their development needs. (b) It was difficult to identify employees who frequently changed their competencies and were still not able to perform better.
- To identify employee development needs. Managers had difficulty in ensuring that employees had the prerequisite skills and knowledge that were needed to meet SMART goals and objectives. Busch faced a critical need to deploy a solution that could help identify employee development needs.
- To enable managers to track progress of employee goals on regular basis. There was no way to monitor employee achievements and track performance on a continuous basis. Thus, making it impossible for managers to turn up with performance improvement plans at the right time.
These challenges resulted in loss of productivity which impacted team’s efficiency, company’s growth and profits. The company discussed these challenges with Empxtrack team, with an aim to focus on employee development, improve employee productivity, streamline the process of competency mapping and increase overall business outcomes.
Busch LLC expected Empxtrack to enable cross-company strategic alignment to help the workforce reach aggressive business objectives.
Empxtrack was already listed on ADP marketplace and could be easily purchased and integrated with ADP Payroll. Busch LLC finalized Empxtrack Performance Management to manage performance reviews for their employees.
Data integration with ADP became easy and convenient. Through Weekly scheduler, employee data was easily integrated from ADP to Empxtrack. The profiles of all employees were updated, and information about new employees was added, without additional effort.
Empxtrack provided solutions to overcome all complex issues, including dynamic competency mapping, tracking employee performance in real-time, identifying employee development needs and monitoring progress of employee goals. Empxtrack team fulfilled all customization requirements without additional cost.
With implementation of Empxtrack, employees were easily able to add dynamic competencies in the performance appraisal module in just a few clicks and get approval from their managers. This gave employees an opportunity to choose dynamic competencies based on their choice and share their skill development needs with managers. The process became extremely simple and quick.
Image 1: The image shows Dynamic competencies added by employees.
Image 2: Dynamic competencies can be added or changed and submitted to manager for approval.
With the help of Dynamic Competency Update Status Report, it became easy for HR and managers to identify employees who haven’t changed dynamic competencies in past few years and identify employees who frequently change competencies.
Image 3: The above image shows three highlighted cases for 3 employees, Ana, Christina and Eduardo respectively. All three cases show unique state of Dynamic Competency Update – as Accepted, Not Initiated and Submitted to Manager. Ana’s dynamic competency has been approved by her manager, thus the state shows Accepted. Christiana hasn’t changed the competency (it’s showing Not Initiated) and Eduardo’s managers hasn’t sent the approval (showing Submitted to Manager).
Empxtrack turned out to be the perfect solution for the client, as Busch wanted to introduce a more formal and streamlined annual goal-setting and performance evaluation process. Easy to set-up, minimal time and effort to administer, and user-friendly interface for employees impressed the client.
Managers could now continually track employee goals and perform employee evaluation based on well-defined parameters. They could create timely performance improvement plan and guide employees on how to enhance knowledge and improve skills and performance.
Image 4: Employees could add or update goals and take approval from their manager. Goal achievements could be captured by employees or managers.
Empxtrack also delivered robust metrics and reporting, which had been virtually non-existent at Busch. Soon the leadership at Busch started using Empxtrack solution to quickly determine top performers within the workforce – something which couldn’t be done earlier without extensive manual work.
Performance management could be carried out in a continuous and timely manner. The entire process was automated, and it was time and cost saving for employees, managers and all other stakeholders involved in the process.
The integration between ADP Workforce Now and Empxtrack went very smoothly. The other note-worthy benefits were:
- » Performance appraisal became more transparent, holistic and meaningful for employees. Managers could view progress of employee goals (tasks and measures) at any point of time.
- » Employee development needs could be easily identified.
- » Employees felt empowered to take their own career decisions.
- » Easy data integration with ADP eliminated the data errors.
- » Continuous Performance Management process gained more significance, improved employee productivity and encouraged well-planned training and development programs.
- » The solution helped in transforming the company’s talent management strategy and culture improvement.
Check out more Benefits of using Empxtrack. Sign up for a Free Trial now.
Disclaimer: Maintaining security of our client data is our prime responsibility. The images shown in this case study contain dummy data.